Muskogee Lawyer BlogCategory: Family Law

28 Articles:
  • Can I Relocate After Divorce With My Children?

    The desire to relocate after divorce in Muskogee, Oklahoma can be a hot button topic. Relocation is a part of divorce as spouses separate. And sometimes, a parent chooses to move far away to get a fresh start. However, if you want to relocate after divorce—especially out of state—you should check with your attorney before making […]

  • Does Adultery in Oklahoma Matter in a Muskogee Divorce?

    Like all states, Oklahoma law states that grounds for the divorce must be listed in the petition for divorce. The petition for a Muskogee divorce must state one of these grounds, and adultery in Oklahoma is a legitimate reason for divorce. Adultery in Oklahoma is Grounds for a Muskogee Divorce The grounds stated must be that […]

  • What are Muskogee, Oklahoma Annulment Requirements?

    A Muskogee, Oklahoma marriage can be ended by divorce, which is a dissolution of an existing contract between two people. It can also be annulled if the case fits Oklahoma annulment requirements. Unlike dissolution, an annulment treats the marriage as if it never existed. The marriage is either legally void or voidable. An annulment is […]

  • How is Child Support in Muskogee OK Calculated?

    Paying child support in Muskogee OK is a legal and moral obligation. It is enforceable in every state. Oklahoma takes this obligation seriously. Oklahoma Child Support Guidelines The Oklahoma legislature has passed laws that created child support guidelines. These guidelines are the basis of all child support awards that are made in Oklahoma. The formula […]

  • Do Muskogee County Divorce Courts Have Jurisdiction if My Spouse Lives Out of State?

    As our society becomes increasingly mobile, issues of out-of-state jurisdiction in continuing custody cases have become both more commonplace and more complex in Muskogee County divorce courts. Jurisdiction refers to the power of a court to make a decision over a person or their property. So how do we decide which court has jurisdiction over […]

  • When Can a Muskogee Attorney Get an Oklahoma Custody Modification?

    Parents’ situations change over time. The custody order that worked well two years ago, at the time of your divorce, may not work well now. The good news is that in Muskogee, Oklahoma, if your custody order no longer works well, you can get a modification of that order under certain circumstances. Custody, support, and […]

  • Can My Attorney Get a Court to Award Alimony in Muskogee?

    Divorce is one of the most stressful events that we go through in our lives. It signals the end of an emotional connection with a spouse. At the same time, it signals the end of a working financial unit. As a marriage ends and as we move through divorce, we make financial decisions that can […]

  • What Are the Consequences for Not Paying Child Support in Muskogee?

    While parents want the best for their children, sometimes parents fall behind on their child support obligations in Muskogee, Oklahoma. A parent can lose a job, become ill, or encounter unexpected expenses. If this is your situation, it is best to communicate clearly and non-combatively with each other to see if a solution can be […]

  • How is Divorce Different Than Legal Separation in Muskogee?

    There are times when a couple may choose to legally separate rather than divorce. Sometimes, a couple will seek a legal separation in Muskogee, Oklahoma when divorce is not an option. The couple may not longer wish to live together, but their religion prohibits divorce. Other times, a couple may prefer a legal separation to […]

  • What is Joint Custody in a Muskogee Divorce Case?

    A Muskogee, Oklahoma divorce can be traumatic for parents and children. As parents move toward divorce, they are filled with questions regarding the process and how best to help themselves and their children negotiate that process. It is the job of the Oklahoma court to ensure that the best interests of the children are looked […]